Areas of Practice
Gwen G. Nolan, Associate
Gwen Nolan joined Sperling & Slater in 2011. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Nolan was an associate at Choate, Hall & Stewart, LLP in Boston. Ms. Nolan has represented clients in complex commercial litigation and securities litigation in multiple jurisdictions before both federal and state judiciaries.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of claims seeking damages under the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act. (N.D. Ill.).
- Successfully obtained dismissal of claim seeking damages under the Illinois Franchise Disclosure Act. (N.D. Ill.).
- Successfully defended major entertainment venue in breach of contract litigation, resulting in favorable settlement. (N.D. Ill.).
- Successfully defended multiple guarantors against multimillion dollar claim by major bank. As a result of litigation efforts, client was able to settle the claim at a small fraction of the bank’s demand. (N.D.Ill.).
- Currently representing plaintiff in action for breach of fiduciary duty against manager of LLC. Successfully defeated motions to dismiss. (Ill. Cir. Ct.).
- Currently defending Fortune 500 CFO against breach of fiduciary duty claims. (S.D.N.Y.).
- Currently defending academic institution against employment discrimination claims. (Ill. Dep. Hum. Rights).
- Currently defending trustee against breach of fiduciary duty claims. (N.D. Ill.).
- Cornell Law School (J.D. 2008)
- Bench Editor, Moot Court Board
- Winner, Cornell Mock Trial Competition
- Fairfield University (B.A. 2004)
- G. Brook’s Scholarship in Asian Studies
- Department Award in Asian Studies
- Alumni Award in Women’s Studies
Professional and Community Involvement
In 2012, Ms. Nolan successfully represented two persons with disabilities on a pro bono basis in an action under the Fair Housing Amendments Act. In 2010, as a pro bono volunteer with Boston’s Volunteer Lawyer’s Project, Ms. Nolan argued for and won permanent guardianship for her client.
While in law school, Ms. Nolan spent a semester in Houston, Texas working on post-conviction capital appeals. Ms. Nolan also interned for a semester with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of New York.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Gwen G. Nolan
Sperling & Slater
55 West Monroe Street
Chicago, Illinois 60603